Gritty, creative, seasoned technology team leader with over 20 years of experience driving profitability through efficiency. Built high-performance engineering teams that delivered data, ML, eCommerce, ERP Apps that enable all stakeholders make data-driven decisions, grow sales and profitability.
Technology executive with 20+ years of experience developing and executing Data Engineering and Technology strategies aligned with corporate objectives. Delivering “always on” Information Systems and Technology services that enable Yamaha’s sales, marketing and finance teams to share the joy and beauty of music.
Thrive in challenging situations that need leaders who understand team dynamics, information technology and business strategy. Established record as a leader who collaborates with C level executives from marketing, operations, finance and HR to simplify and digitize business processes to deliver measurable benefits. Collaborated effectively with managers and front-line staff. Reached across organizational and geographic boundaries to cultivate relationships and build a team of cross functional business leaders that respond rapidly to business needs. Strong focus on People + Process + Technology. Applied “servant leader” principles by removing obstacles, listening and mentoring. Hands on leader conducting regular scrums, lessons learned and structured problem solving sessions. Calm, credible and decisive leadership style.
Things I've picked up over the years
• Strategic Vision & Technology Planning for 3 to 5 year horizon
• Business/IT Alignment, Business Relationship Management
• Enterprise Apps - BI, Data Science, eCommerce, ERP (Oracle), CRM, Application Development, System Integration
• Budgeting & Forecasting, Vendor/Contract Management
• Team Building & Leadership, Process Design & Improvement
• Digital Transformation, Change Management, Program Management
• Global Implementation, Global operations, Technology Infrastructure, cloud migration
• Data Center, Cloud, Network, Telecommunications, Mobile, Big Data
• Governance Processes, Security, Risk Management, Mergers & Acquisitions
Director of Data and Analytics
Led a 2-pizza team of data engineers to rebuild the data analytics stack using Google BigQuery+Informatica+Tableau.
Impact - 22% improvement in retention, 2x improvement in Corporate Metrics reporting
4x improvement in FP&A trend analytics.
Led the team to build a datawarehouse for over 10 data sources spanning Enterprise Applications to Product databases.
Director of Business Intelligence and Integration
Led a team of 6 Project Managers + 60 data engineers to rebuild the data analytics stack using AWS Redshift+Matillion+Tableau.
Impact - 25% improvement in retention through a 3x increase in the number of Quarterly Business Reviews conducted by the Customer Success Retention team
4x improvement in generating data insights for Sales Operations
5x improvement in FP&A trend analytics
Led the team to build a dimensional datawarehouse for over 50 data sources spanning Enterprise Applications to Product databases.
Yamaha Corporation of America
Director of IT Oct 2006 – Present
Company engaged in sale of Musical Instruments, Commercial and Home Audio Products. Annual revenue over $700Million. Locations include artist services in Burbank, Nashville and New York, sales offices in Indiana and music school in Boston. 450 - 500 employees in USA.
Drove the digital transformation of business as AGM of IT division of 23+ employees and 4 - 20 contract resources.
· Leadership role on cross functional PMO consisting of approx. 50 high performance managers and 14 Sr. management sponsors including the President.
· Collaborated with Sr leadership to create the Global and North-Central-South America IT strategy and vision.
· Hands on project planning, execution; financial planning, controls and policy/procedure administration. Manage an annual IT budget of 10 to 14 million USD.
· Coached and worked with the team to venture into new territory such as AWS cloud in 2014.
· Drove culture shift towards digital marketing by securing senior management buy-in and budget for Customer-Centric-Yamaha initiative.
. Master of Ceremonies at the annual kick-off meeting for 450+ employees.
· Delivered around 4 major strategic business initiatives every year generating annual value of $100K to $500K.
· Delivered tremendous Dev-Ops capabilities, savings by moving to cloud.
· Executed over 15 company-wide, cross-functional, cross-divisional projects by skillfully maneuvering through change management challenges.
· Oversaw the full project lifecycle including executive communication, RFP, vendor selection, negotiations, project planning and production support. Assigned responsibilities, tracked timelines, led daily scrums and structured problem solving sessions.
· Ensured consistent, reliable infrastructure, systems, applications and services for 450 to 500 employees.
· Played lead role in migrating company to SaaS applications like Salesforce.com, Fuze Voice, Office 365.
· Increased quote pricing accuracy by 23%, reduced time to close quote to order cycle by 30% Implemented CPQ. Built guided selling and configuration rules for over 500 SKUs. Integrated with ERP for product catalog and territory management.
· Implemented processes to use Salesforce.com as database for B2C and B2B customer information. This data is used to power marketing and sales campaigns.
· Improved CSAT score by over 20% and NPS score by over 50% by implementing Service cloud. Built escalation rules, performance metrics such as time-to-resolution, self-service FAQ usage, call durations, abandoned calls. Supported customers of over 1500 SKUs.
· Led Yamaha24x7 ecommerce - http://www.yamaha24x7.com/#/at-a-glance Over 3000 SKUs, 50,000parts and custom invoice payment features. Average value of each visit approx. $800. AOV $1,643. Deployed personalization using machine learning - AI to increase AOV.
· Conceived, planned and executed "Girl meets Guitar" to create new musicians as part of the 4 member "Innovation Team" - https://www.yamaha.com/us/girlmeetsguitar/
· Orchestrated 16-month, $1M Oracle R12 Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) upgrade project, delivered on time and without compromising business operations. Improved Order to cash, procure to pay, asset tracking, expense reporting, tax, accounting and financial reporting processes.
· Implemented SharePoint enterprise collaboration and digitized over 25 business workflows.
· Currently building the business analytics and data science team.
· Implemented Tableau business intelligence for 250 users. Over 50% daily active users and growing.
B2B finished goods, parts ordering and invoice payments. B2C parts ordering using Magento
Since relaunch in 2016
- Doubled number of users
- Doubled number of orders
- Increased number of invoice payments
- Increased AOV using ML recommendations
Director of Oracle Applications (Technical) Mar 2004 - Aug 2006
Medium size ocean freight Consolidation Company with sales of approx. $500 million.
Masters of Scale is an original podcast hosted by Reid Hoffman, Co-founder of LinkedIn and Investor at Greylock. In each episode, Reid shows how companies grow from zero to a gazillion, testing his theories with legendary leaders. Masters of Scale is the first American media program to commit to a 50-50 gender balance for guests. It won the 2018 People’s Voice Webby for Best Business Podcast.
Discover the hidden side of everything with Stephen J. Dubner, co-author of the Freakonomics books. Each week, Freakonomics Radio tells you things you always thought you knew (but didn’t) and things you never thought you wanted to know (but do) — from the economics of sleep to how to become great at just about anything. Dubner speaks with Nobel laureates and provocateurs, intellectuals and entrepreneurs, and various other underachievers.
An idea is the one gift that you can hang onto even after you've given it away. Welcome to TED Radio Hour hosted by Guy Raz – a journey through fascinating ideas: astonishing inventions, fresh approaches to old problems, new ways to think and create.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful then a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
My passion project for California
Gathering volunteers and community leaders to create tiny forests to stop wildfires
The Miyawaki dense forest method.
Usually, a planted forest takes about 100 years to develop into a “real” forest. An awful long time, especially when you take into account the rapid deforestation and the urgent call for more trees, nature and a healthier, sustainable planet. A new forestation technique could kick start this process.
Inspired by Shubhendu Sharma
Eco-entrepreneur Shubhendu Sharma is the founder of Afforestt, an organization that creates “wild, native, natural and maintanance free forests at the lowest possible cost.” Basically, they bring back forests by creating them. To do so, they have a special technique to spur the process of forestation: Tiny Forests. Sharma based his approach on planting these forests inspired by an assembly line technique that he learned during his tenure at Toyota. These “forests to be” start out tiny, but because of the careful selection of plants, trees and soil to be included and a multi-layered plantation technique, the Tiny Forests of Afforestt grow big quickly.
Tiny forest in Holland
Celebrating the spirit of Afforestt with this beautiful movie called Tiny Forest by IVN, Netherlands. It took an year to shoot the movie and it shows the journey of forest making in a totally new geography for us. After making the first forest in Zaandaam, in 2015 (shown in the movie) Afforrestt team has made 4 more in different cities in The Netherlands.